Thursday, June 26, 2008

Keeping up with the mess

Many Sick Mommys stay at home with the kids and also end up taking care of the housekeeping for the most part. I'm one such Mommy. I tend to like things neat and free of clutter. My husband doesn't care either way but tries to be good about his messes.

I don't know where I first came across it, but I've been using the Flylady program to help me organize my life and home. I'm not great at it yet but it has really helped me get organized especially since we moved last month into a smaller space. That is the ultimate de-clutter detox program. Move from a house with a garage and a shed to a two bedroom apartment!

After the relapse from the physical and emotional stress of moving started to ease up, I was able to start organizing and cleaning. I'm still working on my Flylady Control Journal to figure out what I need to do every week or everyday.

The Flylady program is great for Sick Mommys because it stresses "babysteps" and not allowing your perfectionism paralyze you. Many Sick Mommys lose confidence because they can't do as much as other Moms. With Flylady, you don't have to feel guilty if you have a really bad day and can't do anything. If you are sticking with the program, your house will be so clean and organized that a day here and there of neglect is no big deal and, in my experience, a whole week of neglect is actually quickly remedied. In the past, if I was laid out and had to leave Hubby to the housekeeping, well, let's just say there wasn't much housekeeping going on and the house went from the usual mess to a disaster really fast. Our daughter is a tornado and can destroy a house in a day!

The best part of Flylady is the way it makes sure to add various ways to take care of yourself in the 'routines.' Many Sick Mommys just don't have the energy or time to do what has to be done let alone pamper ourselves. We already feel guilty for being sick and unable to do all the things we think we should be able to do. Flylady is less about a clean home than a peaceful mind and a loving attitude toward yourself.

I will continue to Fly! Now, I have some clutter to purge from my home!

No comments: